Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 176 - Mushrooms

So Deb ate a mushroom today.  Yes, I ate fungus.  Technically, mushrooms are not even a vegetable because they have no leaves or roots or seeds ... but we pretty much think of them as vegetables; and they do have a lot of health benefits.  Some people eat them raw, some eat them cooked - and some are even poisonous - so know your stuff.  But I felt pretty safe eating a raw mushroom from my grocery store ... they are not likely to feed me poison (we hope not anyway).  Did I like it - heck no.  Will I eat it again?  Hmmm ... maybe.  My daughter loves mushrooms - but she's about the only one.  My husband did eat mushroom pieces on a pizza last night I think - -which is what made me think of them.  I don't think he's a big fan, but he didn't pick them off the pizza, so they can't be all bad.

So - give me input - raw, cooked - recipes or salads or what?  What, how and why do you eat mushrooms - - if at all ??  WOULD LOVE to know.  Meanwhile; here is a link with more mushroom information:

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/month/mushroom.html

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE cooked mushrooms, hate raw. I cooked them on medium to high heat (they like to be cooked fast) and you have to make sure they are all touching the pan. You can put a tiny bit of oil to keep from them sticking to the pan. I cook them until they are brown and there is liquid forming in the pan. Don't overcook them! Then I usually add them to something like my omelets or with rice. Try them again!
    ~Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,
    Mushrooms are pretty good on pizza. I think they are supposed to actually be pretty good for you. The best way to have mushrooms is sautéed and served along side some meat or chicken.
    Slice the mushrooms and have ready to go about 1/4 cup sliced scallions and one or 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped. Also have some chopped parsley and about 1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs.
    Sauté the mushrooms in a pan in some hot olive oil, cooking just to lightly brown. Don't crowd the pan with the mushrooms or they will just stew rather than brown. Cook in two batches if you must. When lightly browned, add the garlic and green onion and cook a little longer to cook them slightly. Add the bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste. If you desire, add a capful of dry white wine or white dry vermouth. Stir to mix, and then serve hot. It's really good. The mushrooms will really cook down and you will start with a big pile but end up with a small amount of cooked ones.

    ReplyDelete