Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 159 - Broccoli and Lasagna

Well, I have tried lasagna before in this blog adventure, but didn't like it very much - - and certainly never integrated it into my diet.  I tried it again tonight.  Tonight's was much better.  I actually had 3 or 4 bites.  I kept taking bites trying to get my toddler to eat it, because sometimes if MOMMY will eat it, then he will.  No dice, he wasn't having any part of it.  He was far too fascinated with the garlic bread anyway.  No, I did not eat garlic bread.

On the side, we had broccoli and cheese.  I must say, I hate even the smell of broccoli.  My husband had the idea that maybe with the cheese I would like it.  Nope, sorry - hated it.  I must confess, I only had a very small little bite.  That was it, I was done.    But man oh man, I need to like broccoli.


Broccoli is high in vitamin C, as well as dietary fiber; it also contains multiple nutrients with potent anti-cancer properties, such as diindolylmethane and small amounts of selenium. A single serving provides more than 30 mg of Vitamin C and a half-cup provides 52 mg of Vitamin C.  Broccoli also contains the compound glucoraphanin, which can be processed into an anti-cancer compound sulforaphane.  Broccoli is also an excellent source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells.

However; get this .. the benefits of broccoli are greatly reduced if the vegetable is boiled.  SO maybe the trick is to learn to like it raw.  Maybe I could blend it up into a smoothie?   Who knows - please advise me on how to get this super powerful vegetable into my queasy body.



No comments:

Post a Comment